- Nat’l election: BNP renews demand for dialogue
- 21 eminent citizens receive Ekushey Padak
- Work to gain people’s confidence, President asks PSC
- Appeal filed with HC against Khaleda’s sentence
- Maintain distinctive characters of Bangla: PM
- PM invites her Dutch counterpart to launch BD Delta Plan
- 50 BNP men hurt in clash with police, 20 held
- 17 killed in garbage dump collapse in Mozambique
- Angry mob killed suspects in murder of girl in India
- RU students demand revision of quota systems in gov’t jobs
Pro BNP-Jamaat panel sweeps Ctg Bar polls
The lawyers’ panel, backed by BNP and Jamaat, has swept the Chittagong Bar Association election bagging 12 out of 19 posts, including that of the secretary.
Awami League-backed lawyers’ panel got the rest seven posts, including that of the president.
Sheikh Iftekhar Saimul Chowdhury has been elected president of the body while Mohamamd Nazim Uddin Chowdhury from Pro BNP-Jamaat panel has been elected general secretary.
Chief Election Commissioner and senior lawyer advocate Nazmul Ahsan Khan Alamgir Chowdhury announced the results on Sunday midnight.
The daylong voting of the election concluded around 4:00pm starting from 9:00am on Sunday after 3,715 lawyers cast their votes. 56 lawyers competed for 19 posts of the body.
Jatiyatabadi Lawyers Forum secretary general and Supreme Court Bar Association secretary Mahbub Uddin Khokon congratulated the pro-BNP lawyers’ panel for their victory in the election.