- Nat’l election: BNP renews demand for dialogue
- 21 eminent citizens receive Ekushey Padak
- Work to gain people’s confidence, President asks PSC
- Appeal filed with HC against Khaleda’s sentence
- Maintain distinctive characters of Bangla: PM
- PM invites her Dutch counterpart to launch BD Delta Plan
- 50 BNP men hurt in clash with police, 20 held
- 17 killed in garbage dump collapse in Mozambique
- Angry mob killed suspects in murder of girl in India
- RU students demand revision of quota systems in gov’t jobs
Mugger held for killing woman in Dhanmondi
Police arrested a suspected mugger from Ashulia on Monday in connection with death of a woman, who was killed during a mugging incident in Dhanmondi area in the capital on January 26.
The arrestee was identified as Abdullah, 30.
Acting on a tip-off, a team of Dhanmondi police station conducted a raid at Ashulia in the evening and arrested Abdullah and recovered a private car from his possession, said an officer of Dhanmondi police station.
During preliminary interrogation, Abdullah confessed that he was sitting on a rear seat of the private car when the mugging incident took place and three more muggers were riding on that car then.
Later, he was produced before a Dhaka court on Tuesday and after recording his confessional statement, Abdullah was sent to Dhaka central jail, the officer said requesting anonymity.
A gang of muggers riding on a private car pulled the handbag of Moyna Begum, dragged her about 200 yards on a street and drove the vehicle over her at Dhanmondi Road-7 on January 26 . She was killed on the spot.