- PM to bid adieu 23 plane crash victims at Army Stadium
- Khaleda’s bail stayed till May 8 in graft case
- 1st janaza of 23 plane crash victims held in Nepal
- BNP to resist bid to hold lopsided polls, says Rizvi
- BNP stages demo protesting Milon’s death in custody
- DU teacher relieved of academic duties for assaulting fellow
- Govt mulling pvt sector`s participation in power transmission, distribution
- Rajshahi fresher fails to surface after falling into Padma
- Burglars loot ‘Tk 72 lakh’ from Unilever distributor’s office
- Youth gets life in prison for raping visually-impaired girl
2 housewives ‘commit’ suicide in Jessore
In separate incidents, two housewives allegedly committed suicide in Manirampur upazila of the district on Wednesday.
The deceased were identified as Rabeya Khatun, 35, wife of van-puller Nazrul Islam of Biprokona village, and Jesmin, 30, wife of Selim Hossain, a tea seller, of Mohonpur village.
Police said Rabeya who had long been suffering from the heart disease took poison around 12:45 pm as his husband was unable to arrange treatment for her.
Sensing the matter, relatives took her to the Upazila Health Complex where the on-duty doctor declared her dead, said Sub-inspector of Manirampur Police Station Torab Ali.
On information, police recovered the body and sent it to hospital morgue for autopsy.
Nazrul is a poor man and runs his family by pulling a van. His wife had been a patient of heart disease and their daughter Shanta is also sick. He could not earn enough to buy them medicine.
On the other hand, Jesmin took her life by hanging herself in the evening, said local ward councillor Quamruzzaman.
However, SI Rukshana of Manirampur Police Station said they knew nothing about the incident.