- 20-party leaders to meet Saturday
- No election keeping Khaleda in jail: Moudud
- Addressing Rohingays’ statelessness is key: UNHCR envoy
- Pakistan celebrates National Day with military parade
- Youth ‘commits suicide’ in Sirajganj
- Pilot Abid Sultan’s wife dies
- 3 DU students picked up by RAB
- Moudud for street movement to have Khaleda released
- Govt only changed AL men’s fortunes, alleges BNP
- Kakon Bibi laid to eternal rest
RU students block highway protesting teacher’s assault ‘by RMCH interns’
Several hundred students of Law department of Rajshahi University (RU) on Thursday blocked the Dhaka-Rajshahi highway demanding immediate arrest and exemplary punishment of those RMCH interns assaulted’ one of their teachers on Wednesday night.
Campus and hospital sources said when Professor Enamul Zahir, a senior Professor of RU Law Department, went to word no. 30 of Rajshahi Medical College Hospital to visit her sister on Wednesday Merry Priyanka, a female intern of the hospital, locked into an altercation with him over a trifling matter.
At one stage, Priyanka called other interns of the hospital who beat up the teacher.
On information, Rajpara thana police rescued the teacher from the hospital and sent him to his house.
As the news spread, students of the department brought out a procession on the campus around 10:30am protesting the incident and later took position on the highway from 11:00 am to 1:40 pm demanding arrest of the perpetrators.
Professor Abdul Hannan, chairman of RU law department, told UNB that they requested the university teachers’ association to take necessary steps in this regard.
Contacted, RMCH director Major General Md Jamilur Rahman said they would a formed a probe body over the incident.