- 20-party leaders to meet Saturday
- No election keeping Khaleda in jail: Moudud
- Addressing Rohingays’ statelessness is key: UNHCR envoy
- Pakistan celebrates National Day with military parade
- Youth ‘commits suicide’ in Sirajganj
- Pilot Abid Sultan’s wife dies
- 3 DU students picked up by RAB
- Moudud for street movement to have Khaleda released
- Govt only changed AL men’s fortunes, alleges BNP
- Kakon Bibi laid to eternal rest
‘Rape’ victim attempts suicide in N’ganj
A 16-year-old girl who was reportedly raped multiple times tried to commit suicide by pouring kerosene on herself at Kashipur in Fatullah on Friday night.
The victim was sent to the burn unit of Dhaka Medical College Hospital in the capital in a critical condition, said victim’s mother Parvin Begum.
“She is fighting for her life with almost 90 percent burns on her body,” said the mother.
On Saturday morning, the victim’s mother filed a case with Fatullah Police Station accusing three people.
The accused are Mridul, 22, his mother Parul Begum, 42, wife of late Abdul Khoka Miah of Kangshapur village in Sirajdikhan of Munshiganj, and Md Mahfuz, 24.
The victim along with her family was living in Kashipur area of Fatullah. For the last two years, she has been staying at home instead after completing JSC.
In the meantime, accused Mridul established a love affair with the victim and violated her with a promise to marry the girl. Mridul’s friend Mahfuz filmed the incident on a cellphone on one occasion.
Later, accused Mridul repeatedly violated her threating to spread the video on the internet, according to the case statement.
At one stage, the victim revealed the incident to her mother. Instantly, the victim’s mother informed Mridul’s mother Parul Begum of the matter.