- 20-party leaders to meet Saturday
- No election keeping Khaleda in jail: Moudud
- Addressing Rohingays’ statelessness is key: UNHCR envoy
- Pakistan celebrates National Day with military parade
- Youth ‘commits suicide’ in Sirajganj
- Pilot Abid Sultan’s wife dies
- 3 DU students picked up by RAB
- Moudud for street movement to have Khaleda released
- Govt only changed AL men’s fortunes, alleges BNP
- Kakon Bibi laid to eternal rest
IU English dept celebrates silver jubilee
Islamic University, BdChronicle:
The English department of the Islamic University observed its silver jubilee anniversary on the campus in Kushtia on Saturday amid festive mood and much enthusiasm.
Marking the day, the teachers, former and present students, officers and staff of the department brought out a colourful rally from in front of the university’s arts faculty building in the morning.
Around one thousand teachers and students of the department took part in the rally while Professor M Harun-Ur-Rashid Askari, vice-chancellor of IU, inaugurated the event releasing pigeon and balloons.
A discussion programme was also held at Birshrestha Hamidur Rahman Auditorium of the university.
The vice-chancellor of IU was present at the programme as chief guest while pro-VC Professor M Shahinoor Rahman and IU treasurer Professor M Selim Toha attended it as special guests with Professor AHM Aktarul Islam Zillu, chairman of English department, in the chair.
Later, a sports competition, raffle draw and a cultural function were also held at the auditorium.