- 20-party leaders to meet Saturday
- No election keeping Khaleda in jail: Moudud
- Addressing Rohingays’ statelessness is key: UNHCR envoy
- Pakistan celebrates National Day with military parade
- Youth ‘commits suicide’ in Sirajganj
- Pilot Abid Sultan’s wife dies
- 3 DU students picked up by RAB
- Moudud for street movement to have Khaleda released
- Govt only changed AL men’s fortunes, alleges BNP
- Kakon Bibi laid to eternal rest
3rd span installed, 450 meters of Padma Bridge now visible
The third span (superstructure) of the much-hyped Padma Bridge was installed between pillars 39 and 40 on Sunday morning.
With the installation of the third span around 8:30am, a total of 450 metres of the Padma Bridge is now visible, said the engineers concerned.
The installation process of the 150 metres span has been started at 7:30am. The floating crane carrying the 150-metre span weighing 3,140 tonnes reached near the pillars on Saturday afternoon.
The work of Padma Multipurpose Bridge became visible with the installation of 150 metres first span on the pillars 37 and 38 on September 30 last while second one was installed on the pillars 38 and 39 on January 28 this year.
The construction work on the country's largest bridge started in December, 2015 and it is expected that the mega construction will be completed by December this year.
A total of 41 spans, each 150 metres long, will be installed on 42 concrete pillars of the 6.15-km bridge, according to the engineers concerned.