- 20-party leaders to meet Saturday
- No election keeping Khaleda in jail: Moudud
- Addressing Rohingays’ statelessness is key: UNHCR envoy
- Pakistan celebrates National Day with military parade
- Youth ‘commits suicide’ in Sirajganj
- Pilot Abid Sultan’s wife dies
- 3 DU students picked up by RAB
- Moudud for street movement to have Khaleda released
- Govt only changed AL men’s fortunes, alleges BNP
- Kakon Bibi laid to eternal rest
Shoe thrown at Nawaz Sharif at Jamia Naeemia Lahore
A day after ink was thrown on Foreign Minister Khawaja Asif in Sialkot, a shoe was thrown at PML-N's supreme leader Nawaz Sharif in Lahore on Sunday, reports DAWN.
Sharif, who had arrived at Jamia Naeemia to address a ceremony marking the death anniversary of Mufti Mohammad Hussain Naeemi, had a shoe thrown at him by a man in the audience as soon as he took the stage.
Video footage of the incident showed Sharif visibly shocked in the immediate aftermath of the incident.
However, the PML-N leader went ahead with his address, although reportedly shortening his speech, only to thank the organisers and saying words of prayer for the deceased cleric.
The man was immediately caught and thrashed by the audience. The organisers said they are trying to ascertain the identity of the attacker and how he was able to enter the hall. The man has been taken into custody by security agencies at the venue.
The incident comes days after another PML-N leader, Ahsan Iqbal, had a shoe thrown at him, making it the third incident of similar nature against the ruling party's top leadership in recent days.