- 20-party leaders to meet Saturday
- No election keeping Khaleda in jail: Moudud
- Addressing Rohingays’ statelessness is key: UNHCR envoy
- Pakistan celebrates National Day with military parade
- Youth ‘commits suicide’ in Sirajganj
- Pilot Abid Sultan’s wife dies
- 3 DU students picked up by RAB
- Moudud for street movement to have Khaleda released
- Govt only changed AL men’s fortunes, alleges BNP
- Kakon Bibi laid to eternal rest
20 shops gutted in Shariatpur fire; owners fear losses over Tk 2-cr
At least 20 shops were gutted in a fire at Ganganagar Bazar in Sadar upazila early Sunday.
The fire originated from an electric short circuit in a shopping unit of the Bazar around 2:30am, and soon engulfed the adjacent business establishments, said Md Humayun Kabir, acting officer-in-charge (investigation) of Palang Model Police Station.
On information, a team of fire fighters from Shariatpur Fire station rushed to the spot and doused the fire with the help of locals and affected businessmen after three hours’ effort, said the OC.
The affected businessmen claimed that the extent of losses caused by the fire would exceed Tk 2 crore.