- 20-party leaders to meet Saturday
- No election keeping Khaleda in jail: Moudud
- Addressing Rohingays’ statelessness is key: UNHCR envoy
- Pakistan celebrates National Day with military parade
- Youth ‘commits suicide’ in Sirajganj
- Pilot Abid Sultan’s wife dies
- 3 DU students picked up by RAB
- Moudud for street movement to have Khaleda released
- Govt only changed AL men’s fortunes, alleges BNP
- Kakon Bibi laid to eternal rest
Bus kills 2 women in Patuakhali
At least two women were killed and one injured of a family when a passenger bus ran over them on Kalapara-Kuakata highway at Mostofapur area in Kalapara upazila on Tuesday afternoon.
The deceased were identified as Beauty Begum, 45, and Nurun Nahar, 22, of the same village in the upazila.
Eyewitness sources said a Kuakata bound passenger of Sakura Paribahan (Coach No-38), Dhaka Metro 11-480 ran over the roadside passerby while giving side of a human hauler in the area, leaving one dead on the spot and two injured.
Later, the injured mother-Nurun Nahar, 22 and son Jihad, 2 were admitted to the Kalapara Hospital. But Nurun Nahar died on the way to hospital.
As condition deteriorated, Jihad was shifted to Barisal Medical College Hospital for better treatment, said Dr Mahbubur Rahman of Kalapara Hospital.
Officer-in-Charge of Kalapara Police Station (investigation) Md Ali Hossain said the driver and helper were fled away while the bus and the truck were seized.
A case was filed with the police station in this connection.
Meanwhile, Upazila Nirbahi Officer Md Tanvir Rahman visited the spot.