- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Traffic police ran over and killed by van in Chittagong
Chittagong, April 06 (UNB/BdChronicle):
A traffic police inspector was killed as a covered van hit him at Fakirhat in Sitakunda upazila early Sunday.
The deceased was identified as Nasir Uddin, 45, hailed from Kasba upazila of Brahmanbaria ditrict.
Sayed Jakir Hossain, officer-in-charge of Baro Aulia Highway Police Station, said a Chittagong-bound covered van knocked down Nasir at dead of night on Dhaka-Chittagong Highway when he was standing beside a lorry which went out of order on the highway, leaving him dead on the spot.
Police recovered the body and sent it to hospital morgue for autopsy.
Police also seized the covered van and the lorry but the drivers managed to flee the scene.