- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
3 people, including a police officer, died in crashes in Dhaka
Dhaka, Apr 9 (UNB/BdChronicle):
Three people, including a police official, were killed and two others injured in two separate road accidents in Sabujbagh and Banani areas of the city early Wednesday.
One of the deceased, one was identified as Bikash Kumar Ghosh, 40, sub-inspector of Sabujbagh Police Station.
Police said an accident took place near Sabujbagh Buddhu Temple when a speeding covered van hit a pickup lying stationary there after its (van’s) tyre punctured at about 1:15 am, leaving the pickup’s helper dead on the spot and its driver Abul Hossain and covered van’s driver Russell, 23, injured.
Sub-inspector of police Bikash, who was diverting vehicles to different direction to avoid possible traffic congestion due to the pickup breakdown, sustained injuries as the pickup knocked down him, Inspector (Investigation) of Sabujbagh Police Station Tajul Islam said.
Bikash was rushed to Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH) where he succumbed to his injuries at about 4:00 am.
In a separate incident, a pedestrian died on the spot when a speeding vehicle hit him on the Banani-Mirpur flyover under Cantonment Police Station at about 1:00 am.
On information, police recovered the body and sent it to DMCH morgue for an autopsy.