- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Two killed in road accident in capital's Palton area
At least two people were killed and three others injured in a road accident in the capital city on early Thursday.
Witnesses said the accident took place when a truck rammed into a CNG-run auto-rickshaw at Paltan intersection in the city.
Among the deceased, one was identified as Alim, driver of the auto-rickshaw and son of Jahirul Islam, a resident of Selimpur village in Talai upazila of Joypurhat district, while identity of the other, who was passenger of the vehicle, could not be known immediately.
Police sources said the accident took place in the area at about 5:00 am when a truck hit a CNG-run auto-rickshaw carrying four passengers coming from the opposite direction, leaving two people dead on the spot and three others injured.
The injured were admitted to Dhaka Medical College Hospital.